Friday, July 25, 2014

A*LIGHT LIGHT UP~ Poetry by Alice Fulks

   WHAT LIGHTS US UP...
     Inspiration.  Imagination.  Illumination.    

This E-zine is our offering to you filled with all things that Light Us Up!  A*LIGHT  is dedicated to creating uplifting media content through the art of live streaming & video.  Our mission is to spread light & love world wide.  

  

Dear Light Up Readers,

I am deeply grateful to all of you for your continued readership.  
Writing The Light Up is a tremendous blessing in my life and I hold it very close to my heart.  In this E-Zine I strive to be authentic, to stretch outside of the familiar comfort zone and, most importantly, to be honest.    

This week, what has come up for me is the love of writing and poetry.  Since I was a young girl, the blank space of an empty page has been safe haven for me-- a sanctuary in which I can freely express, reveal, and pour out my truth.  Writing poetry, especially, has been a powerful tool in my life.  I have many journals gathering dust in my closet, notebooks filled with words never shared with the world.  The intuitive guidance I have received this week is to shine the light, clear away the dust and cobwebs, and let the words out of their cage.  

Also in this week's edition are several poems by writers whose work deeply inspires and lights me up. Emily Dickinson once said: "If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. This is the only way I know it. Is there any other way?"  
Have a beautiful week. 

 Light It Up!  
Alice Fulks 
A*LIGHT Creative Director

WHAT LIGHTS US UP...
~P O E T R Y~


L O O K I N G  G L A S S  

Last night you held up a mirror and said look my child, see the cracks?  
Can you see between them? Can you see me between them? 
Can you see you? 
The rip the jagged itself they too are us. 

Can you bare witness and resist the urge to fix it my child? 
Can you resist the temptation that there is even anything wrong? 

Can you love -my love- be imperfection itself? 
Will you throw your hands up 
Tilt your head back and laugh at the flaws at the fragility?

Can you sit in the stillness of the mess and not fix a thing? 

Fix only your eyes toward me child 

Look at me and howl scream laugh -let it out- 
The nightmares the monsters the demon soaked sublime.

Rip open your heart to the light 
my god my goddess my daughter my little girl
child woman mother creator 
Let it shine. 

A L I C E  F U L K S 




WILD GEESE 

You do not have to be good. 
You do not have to walk on your knees 
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting. 
You only have to let the soft animal of your body 
love what it loves. 
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine. 
Meanwhile the world goes on. 
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain 
are moving across the landscapes,  
over the prairies and the deep trees, 
the mountains and the rivers. 
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, 
are heading home again. 
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,  
the world offers itself to your imagination, 
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting   
over and over announcing your place  
in the family of things.

M A R Y  O L I V E R 


T H E   L A U G H I N G  H E A R T 

your life is your life
don't let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can't beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

C H A R L E S   B U K O W S K I
                                                 
                                                   
ILike us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our profile on LinkedInFind us on Pinterest
     ~Let's Connect 21st Century Style~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment